Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Swim Lessons

Due to the fact that we spend a lot of time in the water during the summer, and also since Bryce had been getting braver and braver in the water. I decided that it might be a good idea to put him in swim lessons.
We showed up to the first day and things seemed to be okay. He did most of the stuff the teacher asked him to without a problem, although he didn't seem fond of floating on his back or putting his face in. When it was time to go the second day he didn't want to go, but I made him. When we got there he reluctantly got in the pool with his class until the very end, at which point he decided he was done and got out and cried.
His teacher told me the next day to just bring a toy with him and drop him off even if he cried. I agreed and just hoped he didn't spend the whole class screaming and being uncooperative.
So the third day rolled around. Bryce was not happy to go and was crying by the time we got there, but I took him in and left. Well I didn't really leave I stood by the gate and listened and after just a few minutes I couldn't hear crying so I went and sat in the car and waited for his class to be over.
When I went back to get him I couldn't believe my eyes. Bryce was cooperating and doing his swim lessons. He was even putting his head under water and floating on his back when asked by his teacher. The trick-well lucky for him the teachers son had returned off his mission the night before and he had taken over Bryce's swim lessons. Bryce really bonded with him and did whatever he asked him to. He loved him, in fact when the week was over he kept asking when he was going to go swim with Spencer again. HA. On Saturday, which was his last day of class, Landon was able to go and watch. We are really happy with the growth he made this year in class, and so grateful for his teacher's for sticking with him and not giving up on him. It really gave him the foundation he needed to really start to swim. As you will see in later blog posts by the end of the summer Bryce was actually swimming independently on his own and I think a lot of it had to do with the start he got at swim lessons and the confidence Spencer helped him to have.






No comments: