Sunday, July 31, 2016

Mismatched avoiding Meltdowns

A few weeks ago it was time to leave for church. (It was actually stake conference, meaning that all of the wards in our stake were meeting together for a two hour session, there would be no classes, which for a toddler equals a pretty long time to sit quietly.) As I was saying it was time to go, and of course we couldn't find one of Bryce's church shoes anywhere. I finally told him just go get your Nike's you can wear those. Well he brings me one Nike and one church shoe and insisted he would just wear one of each. I could tell that if I tried to fight him on this one a complete meltdown would ensue and I would start out that two hour block with a tantruming child. I decided to just go with it, so we could hopefully have a peaceful time a church. My older kids were horrified-how could I let him leave the house like that. At which point I reminded them of some of the things they would leave the house in when they were younger-batman costumes, dress up high heels, cowboy boots with shorts, etc. I just shrugged it off-I bet hardly anyone would notice anyways as he wasn't going to class that day, plus who really cares at least he is there and happy right. And you know what for all about the last ten minutes of the two hour meeting he was pretty well behaved as well behaved as a toddler can be in church. I can only imagine that going a lot differently if I had started it out with him throwing a tantrum at the first. Later my Mom told me that she bet anyone who had raised kids of their own would even think twice about it as they have all probably at some point resorted to similar tactics.
Sometimes you have to pick your battles. This was one of those times.

(Guess what he wore those same two shoes to church for a couple more Sundays-even to class, and no one even questioned it-until I found his other church shoe in the coat closet.)

#threenager #BryceEE

No comments: