Monday, February 8, 2016

Lessons in Special Needs

I have worked with special needs children for many years now. I love working with them. I really try hard to instill the same values in my kids and try to teach them to be kind and treat with respect those that have challenges or may be different from us. It is not uncommon for me to see my daughter Chloe accept a hug from a special child at her school. She will talk to and smile at these individuals. I have even had teachers tell me that she has chosen one of these children to work with on a project or included them in her group. When I hear things like this it really makes me happy-maybe I am doing something right.
Well on Friday I picked Bryce up after work and we went to do a few errands. On the way into Target pointed to the handicapped parking stall on our way in the doors and said "we don't park there it's only for people who are handicapped". You see Bryce loves to spot a place for me to park and a few weeks ago he thought a handicapped spot was the perfect opportunity for me. I explained to him that only handicapped people could park there because it was closer to the store and easier for them to get in. I guess he must have remembered.
Our next stop was the library. In the children's section at the library one of the workers has a service dog. On the way up the steps to the library Bryce said "we don't touch service dogs only look at them" I think he was reminding himself and me of this fact. The first time we saw the service dog I gave him and my niece a quick lesson on service dogs and how they are there to help someone, but we don't touch dogs with service vests on cause they are working. Whenever we are somewhere and we see a service do I try to point it out to him and remind him that we don't touch service dogs. Looks like his is starting to understand.
You see Bryce is only just barely three and he is already learning lessons about people with special needs. I think it is never to early to start teaching these things to your children-hopefully as they grow up it will help them become for caring and understanding individuals.
#specialneedsmatter

No comments: