Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Shot Mix-Up

Last week on Wednesday I took Bryce in to get his 1 year shots. He wasn't able to get them at his one year check-up because he was running a fever that day. Well...it seemed to go fine. We were in an out of there in about 10 minutes. Then on the way home I get this phone call...Ummm-I hate to tell you this but we just gave your son the wrong shot. WHAT?! How? Why? Okay so what do I need to do, well watch his left leg and if it starts to swell or he starts running a high fever bring him back in...also watch for other unusual symptoms which could occur anytime in the next 7-10 days. WOW! I was so upset, however, I was glad that they had at least caught the error and notified me. That afternoon his leg had a little swelling...I took him in they said it was normal. He seemed to be okay for the most part. Then Thursday night he started running a little fever. I gave him Tylenol and put him to bed, about 2 hours later he wakes up and is just screaming uncontrollably that's when I realize he is shaking. I panicked and thought he was having a seizure, so I woke up Landon. We realized it wasn't his whole body just his left leg that was shaking-it seemed he was having some sort of muscle spasm in it. After several minutes it finally stopped and we were able to get him calmed down. He has been fine since no other symptoms and since we are at a week today we feel that that was the worst of the reaction, so feeling pretty lucky about that.

No comments: