Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A plug for Baby Signing

I just have to put in a little plug for baby signing. I knew that I wanted to do it with Bryce for the time I got pregnant with him. I knew that kids who are signed to have an increased knowledge of language and that they are better able to communicate. They learn words faster and can understand what you are saying to them earlier and better than other kids their age.
I felt so strongly about it that I got the whole family on board. I sat down with them one night and taught them all the 10 most basic signs. We made sure we did them to him all of the time. At first it didn't seem like it was working. We did it for months and months.There became a point where I  grew frustrated because I didn't know if it was making a difference. There were some days or weeks we didn't sign at all, but then all of the sudden things started to click. He started signing to us. One sign one week then another, and another. Soon he was singing new signs all the time or at least trying to. Now he is 17 months old and we can see a huge benefit in his language and reasoning skills already compared to other kids his age. He says tons of words not just the normal handful of words that kids his age say, but he says at least 100 words and learns more every day. He will try and repeat almost anything you say. Along with many of the words he says he will give the sign as well. He has even started putting two or three words together to get what he wants.

Some of his favorite words...
Mom
Dad
Tanner
Chloe
Ball
Puppy
Bath
Bottle
Milk
Monster
Popcorn
Cereal
No :)
Hi
Bye
Love You
balloon

Some of his favorite signs...
bath
dog
shoes
more
milk
hot dog
baseball
ice cream
alligator

I can't say enough good things about signing with your child. I can definitely see a huge difference in our little guy and I think this will give him a great start in life. Glad we decided to try it with him.

No comments: