Sunday, July 23, 2017

Taking Matters (Keys) into his own hands

Our normally easy going child, Bryce, has really been struggling lately. He has been throwing tantrums like you wouldn't believe and not just little ones either huge meltdowns. I think it is partly him testing boundaries and partly the fact that he is realizing just how smart he is and that he wants to voice his opinion or make the decisions. It seems about  90% of the tantrums are results of power struggles-us telling him to do something and him having other ideas on whether that's what he wants to do or how and when he wants to do it. It has been hard, because this is not normal for him. I get frustrated easily when he is having a tantrum. I am trying to do better as Landon and I both realize that if we talk to him about things beforehand normally the transition goes much smoother, but there are still moments when nothing we can do or say will stop the crying. The worst part probably is not just that he cries and screams but that he also throws things and will sometimes even hit or kick. He will also say things like "well if you don't let me do it I'm not going to be your friend" or "I'll break something then". Where does he come up with this stuff? Every now and then something he does when he's angry is so funny its hard not to laugh a little even though I'm furious.

The other day he threw a big fit in Tanners room so I took him out of there and locked the door. I went to my room to work on some stuff while he had a meltdown. After a few minutes I couldn't hear crying and I could hear the distinct sound of a chair being scooted across the tile. I went to investigate and there was Bryce with some keys unlocking Tanner's door. He had scooted a chair over to the key hanger to get them down. (HA-like I said to smart for his own good).

Hopefully this phase passes quickly. In the meantime Lord give me the strength to be patient.
#Brycee

No comments: